Dr. Karun Rawat
- Research Interest
- Contact Information
- Global Collaboration
Dr. Karun Rawat received his PhD. degree in Electrical Engineering from University of Calgary,Canada in 2012. He is currently Assistant Professor in Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, IIT Delhi. He is senior member of IEEE. Before this, he worked as scientist in the Space Applications Center, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) Ahmedabad, from 2003–2007, where he was involved in the design and development of microwave receivers for remote sensing applications. After that, he joined the iRadio Laboratory of the Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary, where he worked as a student research assistant and later Post-doctoral research fellow under the research grant of iCORE and CRC chair, Alberta, Canada. His research involvement has resulted in more than 24 publications in journals and conferences with 15 in IEEE society. Due to his active research activities and publications, he has been recipient of research production award for the three consecutive years from 2009-2012 by University of Calgary. Under his leadership, University of Calgary team won first prize as well as the best design award in the 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge 2010 conducted by Wireless Innovation forum while competing against five universities from U.S. and Japan.
1. Microwave Theory and Circuits : EEL 713
- Multi-band/Broad-Band RF/Microwave circuits design: Multi-band/broad-band RF passive circuit design and matching networks
- RF Power Amplifier design: Harmonic Terminated, switch mode Class-F and F-1, Broad-band Class J.
- Doherty Power Amplifier Design: Multi-Band, Broad-Band.
- Digital Predistortion (DPD) Implementation: FPGA/DSP implementation.
- Hybrid RF/DPD implementation and Design.
- Transmitter Archietectures for Software defined radios useful in Green Communication.
- Receiver Front end Board level design and implementation.
- High integration circuits in LTCC.
||Centre for Applied Research in Electronics,
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Hauz Khas, New Delhi - 110 016, INDIA
- First Team Prize in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge: Team leader of the University of Calgary team, which won first prize in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge 2010, conducted by Wireless Innovation Forum. This was a worldwide championship in which student engineering teams design, develop and test software defined and cognitive radio technologies that address specific problems relevant to the advanced wireless community.
- Best Design Prize (team) in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge: This award was won by the University of Calgary team as a part of 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge 2010, conducted by Wireless Innovation Forum. The main technical role in the project was proposing system architecture, its hardware development and measurement. This award was in addition to the overall champion award that the team won in this competition.
- Research Production Award: This was awarded for three consecutive years (2009, 2010, 2011) by the department of electrical engineering, University of Calgary for high number of publications in reputed journals and conferences.
- Best Industrial Trainee Award: This was awarded by Deference Research Development Organization (DRDO), India, for being a best trainee during the industrial internship in Defense laboratory in India as a part of curriculum of Bachelors of Engineering.
PhD. Students Projects:
- Tri-band/Quad-band Doherty power amplifier design.
- Broad-Band Doherty load-combiner design.
- Reconfigurable power amplifier design.
Master Students Projects:
- Multi-band N-way and N-stage Doherty Power Amplifier design.
- Multi-port-network based modulator with imperfection modeling and enhanced dynamic range.
- Harmonic terminated power amplifier design.
Other Collaborative Projects:
- CMOS based broad-band power amplifier design.
- CMOS based broad-band push-pull power amplifier design.
- RF-hybrid digital pre-distortion.
Fadhel Ghannouchi ,Prof. Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Francisco Falcone ,Prof.Public University of Navarra, Navarra, Spain.
Journal Article Published/Accepted
- K. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual the band and optimize” in IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 13, no. 2, April 2012, pages: 69-82. (click here)
- K. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual-Band RF Circuits and Components for Multi-standard Software Defined Radios” in IEEE Circuit and Sys. Magazine, vol. 12, no. 1, Mar. 2012, pages: 12-32. (click here)
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Design methodology for dual-band Doherty power amplifier with performance enhancement using dual-Band offset lines,” in IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Digital print as DOI: 10.1109/TIE.2011.2176695. (click here)
- K. Rawat, M. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual Band branch-line hybrid with distinct power division ratio at two bands ” in Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, (accepted for publication). (click here)
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “A Novel Dual-Band Matching Technique Based on Dual-Characteristic Impedance Transformer for Dual-Band Power Amplifier Design” in IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 5, no. 14, pages: 1720-1729. (click here)
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, M.Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, “Analysis of Frequency Selective Impedance Loading of Transmission Lines for Dual Band Couplers,” in Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 21, no. 3, May 2011, pages: 325-335.(click here)
- K. Rawat, M. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Compensating I-Q Imperfections in Hybrid RF/Digital Predistortion with Adapted Look up Table Implemented in FPGA,” in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 57, no. 5, May 2010, pages: 389-393.(click here)
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “A Design Methodology for Miniaturized Power Dividers using Periodically Loaded Slow Wave Structure with Dual Band Applications,” in IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques , vol. 57, no. 12, part 2, Dec 2009, pages: 3380-3388.(click here)
Conference Article Published
- K. Rawat, F. M. Ghannouchi, “Load-pull assisted CAD design of inverted Doherty Amplifier without quarter-wave transformer” in proceedings of 25th IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), Montreal, Canada, (accepted for publication).
- K. Rawat, M. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F. Falcone, F. M. Ghannouchi “ Dual-Band Phase Offset line with Required Transmission Phases at two Operational frequencies” in IEEE International Microwave Symposium (IMS) 2012, Montreal, Canada, (accepted for publication).
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi “C-Band microstrip based band-pass filter with design oriented transmission zeros allocation” in proceedings of 24th IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), Niagara Falls, Ontario, May 2011, Pages: 1-4. (click here)
- K. Rawat, O. Hammi, F.M. Ghannouchi “Investigating Effects of Quadrature Imperfection of Vector Multiplier in Implementing RF/Digital Predistortion” in proceedings of IEEE Wireless and Microwave Conference (WAMICON), Florida, April 2009, Pages: 1-4.(click here)
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi “Design of Reduced Size Power Divider for Lower RF Band using Periodically Loaded Slow Wave Structure” in proceedings of IEEE International Microwave Symposium (IMS), Boston, June 2009, Pages: 613-616.(click here)
Journal Article Published as Co-author
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, and F. M. Ghannouchi, “Three-Layered Biased Memory Polynomial for Dynamic Modeling and Predistortion of Transmitters,” IEEE trans. on circuits and Systems-I, (accepted for publication).
- W. Chen, S.A. Bassam, Li Xiang, Liu Yucheng, K. Rawat, M. Helaoui, F.M. Ghannouchi and F. Zhenghe,“ Design and linearization of concurrent dual-band Doherty power amplifier with frequency-dependent power ranges,” IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2537–2546, Oct. 2011.
- M. S. Hashmi, F. M. Ghannouchi, P. J. Tasker, K. Rawat, “Highly Reflective Load-Pull Techniques for Microwave Power Device Characterization,” in IEEE microwave Magazine, vol.12 , no.4, pages: 96 - 107, Jan 2010.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Adaptive Digital Predistortion of Wireless Power Amplifiers/Transmitters Using Dynamic Real-Valued Focused Time-Delay Line Neural Networks,” in journal IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol.58 , no.1, pages: 95-104, Jan 2010.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, and F. M. Ghannouchi, “Recent Advances on Signal Processing Solutions for Distortion Mitigation Due to Power Amplifier and Non-Ideality of Transmitter System,” Recent Patents on Signal Processing, vol. 1: no. 2, pp. 135-142, December 2011.
Conference Proceedings/Presentation as Co-author
- F. M. Ghannouchi, K. Rawat, “Doherty Power amplifier in software defined radio systems” invited paper in XXX URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (GASS'2011), Istanbul, Turkey, 13-20 August 2011.
- Shubrajit Bhattacharjee, Karun Rawat, Meenakshi Rawat, D. Wang, M. Helaoui, H. Leung, F. Ghannouchi, “Joint Evaluation and Mitigation of RF Impairments and Nonlinear Distortion in WiMAX Transceiver under Nakagami-m Fading Channel”, in proceedings of 24th IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), Niagara Falls, Ontario, May 2011, Pages: 1-4.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, F. Esparza, R. Darraji, V. Torres, Francisco Falcone, Fadhel Ghannouchi, “Directional beam forming for smart antenna with Ray-launching and neural networks”, accepted in the 2011 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and 2011 USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Spokane, Washington, USA, July 3-8, 2011.
- V. Torres, F. Esparza, M. Rawat, K. Rawat, R. Darraji, F. M. Ghannouchi, Francisco Falcone, “Analysis of performance modeling of Wireless Systems in complex Indoor Scenarios”, accepted in the 2011 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and 2011 USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Spokane, Washington, USA, July 3-8, 2011.
- F. E. Alfaro, M. Rawat, R. Darraji, K. Rawat, V. Torres, F. Falcone and F. M. Ghannouchi, "RF Environment Behavior Modeling Based on 3-D Ray-Tracing and Neural Networks to Mitigate Multipath in Indoor Position Estimation," in Wireless Innovation Conference, Washington DC, USA, Dec 2010.
- S. Tiwari, R. Darraji, S.A.Bassam, A. Kwan, K. Rawat, M. Rawat, M. Fattouche, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Practical result of wireless indoor position estimation by using hybrid TDOA/RSS algorithm” in proceedings of 23rd IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), Calgary, April 2009, Pages: 1-5.